Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said one suspect had been detained in connection with the blaze, which started around 8 p.m. (1700 GMT) on Tuesday, adding the person had admitted to burning down the forest out of frustration due to family issues.
“We have had a suspect since this incident started,” Soylu told reporters. “Police and the gendarme caught this person a short while ago. There were also two oil barrels at the scene.”
Soylu said the suspect had set fire to the forest while intoxicated due to a commercial disagreement with his family.
Earlier, Forestry Minister Vahit Kirisci said he was hopeful there would be positive developments by late Thursday regarding the fire. He said humidity was higher on Thursday compared to a day earlier and that it was less windy, which would help efforts.
Wildfire in southwest Turkey rages; arson suspect detained | ReutersWildfire in southwest Turkey rages; arson suspect detained | Reuters